Twitter is a great tool to communicate with others but i get confuse sometimes. I don’t know when to use # and when to use @. Are you confuse like me? If you are, let’s explore together on when to use these symbols in twitter.
What Are Hashtags (“#” Symbols)?
A hashtag add tweets to a category. Hashtags have the ‘hash’ or ‘pound’ symbol (#) preceding the tag,for example: #jobs, #summer, #haiku. Hashtags can occur anywhere in the tweet: some people just add a # before a word they’re using, like this:
So if you add a hashtag to your tweet and you have a public account, anyone who does a search for that hashtag may find your tweet
!–more–>Example of uses
- Events or conferences, e.g.: “It’s confirmed! #barcampkl on 24-25th April 2010 in SEGI College, USJ Subang (nxt 2 Summit USJ) w/ 2 floors & wifi FREE use”
- Delivering Happiness Book Giveaway by Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh:#dhbook
- Disasters: “MSF Heading to #Qinghai Province To Assess#Earthquake Damage
- Memes: “Bestworstmovie, the story behind the worst movie ever, Troll2 #meme“
- Context: “#OS #Google #Android #Apple #iPad Google Confirms Android Tablet Coming Soon – Smashingtech Google Confirms Android Tablet Coming Soon – Smashingtech – smashingtech.net
- Recall: “#todo work, speach, storyboard, powerpoint, practice clinic for work, talk to the girl, oh yea and SLEEP!”
- Quote: “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” -Plato #quote”
I’ll blog about how to use @ in my next post…:)
2 thoughts on “When to use # and @ in Twitter”
I appreciate that the screenshot of hashtags on Twitter are of dhbook. 🙂 Excellent read.
Thanks again.. for all your comments.. 🙂